Thursday, November 21, 2013

Pumpkin Walnut Fudge for Thanksgiving!

Here's a recipe for Pumpkin Walnut Fudge, a great addition to your Thanksgiving dessert table. It comes together very easily, and cuts beautifully. I do recommend a candy thermometer - they're inexpensive and a great kitchen tool, so if you don't have one, pick one up the next time you're out.

I got up before sunrise this morning to cut into the pan of fudge and take photos before I headed out to Skidmore College for some additional testing for the exercise science study. I wrapped the plate of fudge and brought it as a token of appreciation to the staff and student researchers in the lab. They were very happy to receive it!

Here's a photo of frost on my windshield this morning as I was leaving:

Isn't it beautiful - I'm in awe of the pattern!


PUMPKIN WALNUT FUDGE
Line 13x9 pan with foil, extending over long ends. Spray foil inside pan with cooking spray. Use a slightly smaller pan if you want thicker fudge.

Ingredients:
1.5 cups granulated sugar
1.5 cups packed light brown sugar
2/3 cup evaporated milk
6 tablespoons soft butter
3/4 cup pumpkin puree (canned pumpkin)
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, or cinnamon if you don't have it
7 oz. marshmallow creme
2 cups white chocolate chips (like Ghiradelli)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

Directions:
Butter the inside of a heavy-bottomed sauce pan (I used my big enameled pot), and over medium heat, bring sugars, evaporated milk, butter, pumpkin puree, and spice to a rolling boil, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.  Continue to boil, stirring constantly, until mixture reaches soft ball stage (232 degrees F).

Take off the heat and stir in marshmallow creme, white chocolate chips, and vanilla. Stir until creamy and all chips are melted. Stir in chopped walnuts. Carefully pour into prepared pan. Do not scrape bottom or sides of pot since this could make the fudge grainy.

Cool for a few hours or overnight. Lift foil and turn out fudge to cutting board. Remove foil. Cut into squares.

Can be stored for two weeks (if it lasts that long!).

7 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy, John and his sweet tooth will love it CKJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy, if you do make it, let me know how it turns out! Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. I just 'pinned' it! Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious. so happy to see you back on your blog again, I do miss seeing all of the delicious recipes. I am proud of you and your weight loss! sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sue, on all counts. So appreciate you!

      Delete
  4. looks so good . my mom loves fudge ! keep up the good work jeanne

    ReplyDelete