Sunday, October 6, 2013

Apple Brownies and an Anniversary Cake!

This post is inspired by my friend Diane Loviza, who shared her Apple Brownies recipe with me on facebook.  Well, I left facebook and decided to look up recipes online for this wonderful dessert. I found a few I liked particularly well, but changed things up so much that I now have my own, unique recipe for Apple Brownies. I hear they are terrific (into week 4 of that food study - none for me!). My son-in-law Bill said, "You can make these again!" I dropped a bunch off to my son Joe, and the rest are getting wrapped and frozen for life post-food study, though the results of the study are so positive, I may never eat "that way" again. It's been phenomenal!

So, about those Apple Brownies. I sauté small chunks of apples in a little butter and apple cider until soft but still intact (my adaptation to the recipe). I chose to use brown sugar and white sugar, to provide a bit of solid chewiness. I left out walnuts because I didn't have any, but would definitely include them if my cupboards weren't bare (of walnuts)!

This is also a pretty dessert. Anyone who's read this blog for a while knows I love pretty food! But the appearance is only outdone by the delicious aroma and (I hear) taste!  Try these - you will LOVE them!

Before going under the knife!


APPLE BROWNIES
8-inch square pan, sprayed with cooking spray
Preheat oven to 350-degrees Farenheit

Step 1:
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup apple juice or apple cider
2 larger or 3 small apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch chunks

Melt butter in medium saucepan. Add apple juice and apples. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer for 10-12 minutes until soft but still intact, and all the cider has evaporated.  Allow to cool and set aside.


Step 2:
1 bar unsalted butter, melted and cooled
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg

In large mixing bowl, beat butter with sugars and vanilla extract. Add egg and beat until very well combined.

Step 3:
Sift together dry ingredients onto a sheet of wax or parchment paper:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Dump sifted ingredients into mixing bowl and, on low speed, combine with butter/sugar mixture.

Step 4:
Remove from mixer and fold in cooked apples. If desired, you can also add 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts at this point.

Spread batter into prepared pan. Bake for 45 minutes or until brownies begin to brown lightly on the outer edges and are firm in the middle.

Cool for 30 minutes.

Cut into 12  bars (3 one way, 4 the other).

Sift a little confectioners sugar on top if you like.

And speaking of pretty food....

The boys "helping" to make their parents' anniversary cake
Note - Pete's got TWO spoons!
(another one of today's projects)

Anniversary cake - filling - butter cream
and sour cherry preserves - just like their wedding cake!

Almond flavor layers

With Hershey Cocoa Frosting, and a slight hint of almond


...and here's the link to my web album with the original wedding cake from October, 2005 (and lots of other cakes, as well!).

Happy Anniversary, Katie and Bill, and many more!

12 comments:

  1. They both look scrumptious but not on my food list at this time. Will save the brownie recipe for Thanksgiving! Thanks to you and Di! Lynnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to try your version...I love the idea of the chewiness! You can't go wrong with an apple brownie, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of an apple brownie until you served it at your party recently. And now it will be a regular on my fall "must bake" list! Thanks so much, Di!!!

      Delete
  3. I wish I had known you were making this cake for Katie and Bill because I would have given you some of my cherry jam like I did when you made Katie's wedding cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just didn't think of it, Catherine! Your jam was such a wonderful component to their wedding cake, and very fondly remembered. I make this cake every year for their anniversary.

      Delete
  4. These sound delightful ! Glad I can still find you without FB. Miss those smiling boys faces. Yummy all around ! CKJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy. You will be able to find me again on fb. The blog traffic came to a screeching halt when I left fb, so I had to go back to keep the blog alive. You'll get to see my little buddies as much as you want! Hope all is well with your new little grandson!

      Delete
  5. I made the apple brownies this morning. They were delicious. They were chewy and the apple flavor was so intense and concentrated. My mom couldn't resist and she's whipping up a batch of her own as we speak! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to hear this Janice! Thanks for letting me know!

      Delete
  6. Definitely will make one for the upcoming Thanksgiving day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're going to love this! Thanks for your comment!

      Delete