Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Day One

And so it begins...today was day one of a 10-week food study I'm participating in at Skidmore College, along with my daughter Katie. It started at 7:45 am with a weigh-in (ugh!), blood tests, and another test to analyze exhaled breath which tells the researchers quite a bit about my current metabolism. Then I received some written instructions and recipes, and a big canvas bag filled with the foods I'll be consuming going forward, including whey protein powder for shakes, vitamin supplements, an herbal tea powder, and really delicious chocolate protein bars.  A calorie counting device was provided, and that's worn for 48 hours and then turned in, giving an indication of just how much I do/don't move! These tests will be repeated at the mid-point of the study and then again at the end, and I am looking forward to making great progress and shedding some of this excess baggage while getting healthier.  Win win!

I'll be making dinner every night and the options are not as dire as I had expected.  Basically, it's a portion of lean protein, good carbs like brown rice or whole wheat pasta, veggies like broccoli and spinach and everything else that's colorful, and salads. Tonight I cooked a 4 oz. piece of cod fillet by poaching it in white wine, lemon juice, garlic, and a little bit of Olivio. Next to that I had a half-cup brown rice and a big pile of steaming broccoli. On the side I had a romaine salad with the freshest tomatoes from my little garden pot, dressed in Paul Newman's Lite Sun-dried Tomato dressing (new fave!).  Then, before bed I have a chocolate protein bar, and I have to tell you, it's like a dessert worth waiting for!  I'd have taken photos of the dinner but it was inhaled (prepared a little later than I'd planned) before I could find my camera.

Since I basically bought one of everything in the produce department today, there will be oven-roasted veggies with the next few meals. They'll go with the salmon, haddock, chicken, and pork sirloin fillets over the next week.

I'm pretty excited as this study begins, and if you'd like to come along for the ride, please do!

Photo credit: http://www.therenegadeblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/day-one.jpg

6 comments:

  1. Morning Jeanne, sounds like the perfect eating plan. You are going to love the results! When you get the green light to enjoy some sweets be careful, it's a slippery slope. Sometimes I think abstinence works best for me. If only I could stick to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fran, I know that slope, and being a baker, I have to be especially careful after these 10 weeks are over. For once, I think the results of the 10 weeks will be perfect motivation to continue on. Most of the time, I bake only for the person who's requested it, though once in a while there are extras which will now be a bonus for someone else!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great dinner! Like Fran said it is so easy to slip backwards when on any kind of diet...have lost 40 but the next 15 are taking for ever. I also have been slipping more than I should! CKJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Cindy, 40 lbs! That is IMPRESSIVE! Good for you! Proud of you, my friend!

      Delete
  3. Wishing you much success...I'm looking forward to reading all about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Di! Day 2 is off to a good start. Looking forward to the results!

      Delete