Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Breakfast at the Track

Early yesterday morning, before the work week started,  I met my friend Sue and her son Frank by the Big Red Spring at the historic Saratoga Racecourse.  At least once every racing season, which runs from late July through Labor Day, we meet to have breakfast in this gorgeous setting. The buffet is an offering of beautifully displayed hot and cold items, with a price tag of $15 per patron.  More than the food, the atmosphere and sights are the attraction.  We sat at a table overlooking the track and watched the morning workout and the people enjoying it, just as we were.  If you want to have breakfast at the track but prefer something a little less formal, you can bring a brown-bag breakfast with you and sit in the grandstands.  (The $10 parking fee is refunded on your way out if you leave before 10 a.m.).  It's the same "show" but a lot more affordable (no charge, actually), especially if you have a large group or little kids, and that fact that there's no wagering that early in the day means there's nothing to lose!  Either way, breakfast at the track is a Saratoga tradition and a memory in the making!








It was a terrific way to start the day!

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhh Jeannie! Thank you for allowing me to not feel quite so guilty for waxing nostalgic every day I'm home! Oddly enough, though the gorgeous horses and brisk, fresh morning air steal the show, I always get back to the blueberries, because it was Breakfast at the Track that was responsible for creating my lifelong love affair with the fruit! For some peculiar reason, I felt as if I were Royalty as I indulged in Blueberries & Creme as a young girl, and I definitely loved how they made me feel as much a I enjoyed their taste! And then to find out years later that they were also so good FOR me?! Priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weez - so glad I can help excavate happy memories for you - like the time you responded to my blog post about old-time Halloween in Saratoga. Very much appreciated!!!

    ReplyDelete