Sunday, July 17, 2011

Blueberry Sundaes with Pie Crust Cookies

It was another beautiful day in this part of New York State.  I've been on my own all weekend because Katie, Bill and the boys are camping in Lake George, on an island in the upper part of the lake near Hulett's Landing (camping with a baby!), and Russ is traveling this weekend for business.  Up until this evening, my only company has been Odie, the 5-year old Black Lab, who barks at the slightest noise (wind?) to let anyone coming close know that he's ferocious and they should be very afraid (he's not, and they shouldn't; he'd lick you to death).  So, to find a little excitement and take advantage of one of summer's oh-too-few perfect days, I once again headed north to Lake George, this time to Bolton Landing (big shocker to anyone who knows me). It was me, my book, and a towel, and my brand-new bottle of Coppertone #8 tanning lotion.  Yes, I am one of those rare Irish girls who doesn't burn (just like my mom who'd brown up like a berry in one afternoon).  I open that bottle of Coppertone and the scent immediately transports me back to the early 60s, with my family at the Peerless pool in Saratoga Springs.  Funny how scents can trigger memories like that.  There is no perfume that evokes such moments in time, for me, as the scent of Coppertone...

Anyway, I went by myself.  I travel pretty light, and sometimes find I'm my own best company (!).  It was one of those full-sun days and I lasted a max of 10 minutes before having to go in the water again.  I floated with my toes directed right at the Sagamore Hotel so I could savor the beautiful vision. Ten or so minutes floating like that is a great ab exercise!   It is so beautiful there.  Can't get enough.  After about two hours in and out of the water, it was time to pack up and head home to meet my son Jeff at my house, to finally experience a Saratoga summer night.  We walked up and down Broadway and stopped at Gaffney's for dinner, meeting up with all three of my sisters along the way, which was a happy coincidence.  Headed back to my car, we stopped for Italian Ice.  It didn't take long for me to remember that I get brain freeze very easily eating Italian Ice!  I suffered through it, because I love Italian Ice more than I hate brain freeze!

We probably stayed out too long, because it's past 12:30 a.m. and I am just now finishing up baking for tomorrow morning.  One thing on my baking to-do list, and blogging for-sure list, is blueberry sauce as the key component in my recipe for Blueberry Sundaes with Pie Crust Cookies.  It's not too hard to find uses for the gazillion blueberries we picked last weekend.  Mine were all frozen and then bagged up, residing now in an over-crowded freezer.   My personal twist on the sundae is that I will bake up pie crust cookies - you get all the flavor and luciousness (is that a word?) of blueberry pie a la mode, but with much less fuss and almost instant gratification.  It's just plain pretty, and there's nothing wrong with that!



Pie crust cookies - so simple

Blueberry sauce - even simpler!

Fun with blueberries

Blueberry Sundaes with Pie Crust Cookies

1 batch blueberry sauce, recipe here, still warm or reheated.
Your favorite vanilla ice cream (I like Stewart's Philly Vanilla)
Pie crust cookies - made from scratch or cut from pre-made crusts
Whipped cream

Oven - 425 degrees F
Cut cookie shapes from prepared pie crust, rolled out (I like larger cookies - a heart or flower are nice).
Bake on parchment-lined cookie sheet just until edges begin to brown.  Watch this because ovens vary.  Cool completely on wire racks.

Assemble sundaes:

Place two cookies on individual dessert plates.  Add two scoops vanilla ice cream.  Ladle warm sauce over ice cream.  Give it a spritz of whipped cream.

Heaven on a plate.

Photos:  my own

6 comments:

  1. i like Philly Vanilla the best too! And I have some heart shaped pie crust in my freezer as we speak I made a cherry pie this week and cut out heart shapes and have been looking for something to do with them and then I saw you post. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds perfect, Lindsay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was looking at your pie crust cookies when I saw your adorable little pocket pies. Consider them made. I think I'll post about them with links to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm the only one next to my hubby that loves blueberries ,but you can bet I'll be doing this dessert for us ! it looks yummie !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy and easy. Will try theses very soon! CKJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun idea!
    Ginelle

    ReplyDelete