Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Pumpkin Cake

This past weekend I made a birthday cake for my friend Sarah's granddaughter, Everlie. Sarah asked for a pumpkin cake with  cream cheese frosting, so I found a good recipe on About.com's page for southern cooking and it sounded great, so I tried it. I made a few adjustments with the spices (see below) but I knew when I made the batter that this was going to be a wonderful cake - the aroma of the spices was incredible all on its own.  The color from the pumpkin was beautiful, and the batter was delicious.  I knew I had a winner here.  Everlie's cake was 2-layers with cream cheese frosting, decorated in little flowers.  The next day, I made the recipe again, and divided it into 12 cupcakes and one 8" square pan.  The cupcakes were served for dessert, still warm,  no frosting, but with a sprtiz of whipped cream.  The 8" cake was dusted with confectioners sugar, sliced up (see photo) and made its way into work with me the next morning.  I can't even begin to tell you the rave reviews this cake received, so I am sharing it with you.  Make your family (or just yourself) happy with a little slice of autumn in this delicious pumpkin cake.


PUMPKIN CAKE WITH CREAM CHEESE FROSTING (or without!)

Oven - 350-degrees F

In medium bowl, stir together the following dry ingredients and set aside:

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg*
1/2 teaspoon allspice*
1 teaspoon grated orange rind* (not necessary, I just had it so I added it)

*These are my addition - not in the original recipe...

In large mixer bowl, mix well:

2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable or canola oil
4 large eggs
2 cups pumpkin puree or cooked, mashed pumpkin (I used canned, simple and perfect)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

To the wet ingredients in the mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients and mix well.  Beat until thoroughly combined.  Pour into prepared pans (greased and dusted, or sprayed with vegetable spray and lined with parchment, or for cupcakes. lined with paper liners).

Bake in preheated 350-degree oven until they test done:  for layer - about 40 minutes, but test with toothpick to be sure.  If cake bounces back when pressed in the center, it's done.  For cupcakes, about 20 minutes.

Cream Cheese Frosting:

1/4 cup softened butter
8 oz. cream cheese, softened.
1 lb. confectioners sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract.

Combine all ingredients in large mixing bowl; beat well until smooth.  Frosts an 8" round 2-layer cake.  Sprinkle top with 1/2 cup chopped pecans if desired. 

Recipe source from About.com:  http://southernfood.about.com/od/pumpkins/r/bl30212s.htm

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! Its almost identical to the one I made this weekend and I used canned pumpkin as well!!! My family loved it... my oldest son actually ate 5 pieces the first night!!! This kind of thing just makes you think of fall.... Halloween, Thanksgiving, Fires, and yes, Christmas... just around the corner!!!! We decorated the shop ALL day today!! Can't believe its already that time!
    Hope you are doing well and that your daughter is adjusting to life with 2 precious little boys!
    carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, Jeannie. I'm going to try it this week! Have you seen Smitten Kitchen's recipe for brown-butter Rice Krispies? They're really good, but I think you could make them even better. We miss you in the English Department!

    ReplyDelete