Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Swing of Things

You could say I am having trouble getting back into the swing of things.  One week ago today I was jumping in the waves off the shores of North Carolina, aware but not obsessing about how fast time was going and that I had to savor every second of the time there.  Now back in the reality of every day existence, the luxury of time away is a fond memory.

When you think about it, a vacation is such a gift.  It literally means to "vacate" your life for a while.  Who couldn't use a few days removed from the routine goings-on of day-to-day living?  The only down-side to a vacation is that it ends.  There's no way we can maintain that ease of living without paying the price, the need to get back to the business of earning a living so we can, hopefully, put some money aside to take another vacation again some time.

I have been especially fortunate this year, having spent time in Long Beach, California, with my daughter Meghan in June, and then the vacation last week in Emerald Isle NC with my sister Anne and her family.  I know what an incredible opportunity it is to travel, and also know that I worked very hard to make them happen.  I would tell myself, in advance, that "this is worth it, because I'll get to see Meghan" or "I'll spend time enjoying Anne's family."  And it is worth it -- every single effort is worth it.

As much as I hate to see summer go, there's a lot to look forward to this fall.  I look forward to the birth of my second grandson, due in October.  I look forward to watching Henry enjoy the beauty of autumn in the country.  I look forward to time with Katie in exciting anticipation of this next baby boy.  I look forward to making my now 1-year old home the warm and cozy refuge I know it can be. I look forward to the next time with Meghan, and to spending time with my kids who are close by, and my six siblings and their families, also close by. 

I don't want summer to end, but it will.  There are warning signs all over.  Trees are already beginning to turn.  I had to grab another blanket for my bed.  It's getting dark earlier.  There's a certain quickening pace at the college where I work.  All signs.  Christmas is just four months away.  That's scary!  No matter how much I'd love to enjoy summer weather all year round, fall is coming.  I'm just not quite ready...yet.  Give me a little time, and I'll get there.

Photo credit: http://images.free-extras.com/pics/e/empty_swings-1697.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment