Sunday, July 25, 2010

From Liz: The A&P's Spanish Bar Cake Recipe

The other day I had lunch with my friends Liz and Karen.  We were talking about early memories of downtown Saratoga Springs, and what used to be, and where.  The old A&P was on Broadway, where Soave Faire is now.  Later, it moved to Division Street, where the Shoe Depot now exists.  Once on the subject of the A&P, I said that my most distinct memory is the aroma of freshly-ground coffee.  It's what I remember most.  Karen agreed.  Liz grew up in Connecticut, but an A&P is an A&P, and she had very fond memories of the store's Spanish Bar Cake.  It was such a happy memory for her.  Later that day Liz sent me this recipe, which is (according to reviews) as close to the real thing as possible.  If you have fond memories of A&P's Spanish Bar Cake, you can relive them by making this and spending nostalgic time with an old favorite.


A&P's Spanish Bar Cake


Dry ingredients- mix these together first in a large bowl:

2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon cocoa
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon allspice

Then add these:

1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups applesauce
2 eggs
1 cup raisins (add these last, after everything else is mixed)

Frosting:

8 ounces cream cheese, softened
4 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 tablespoon lemon juice or lime juice

Mix all ingredients together and beat well. Beat in more milk if needed for easier spreading.

Bake at 350 degrees 30 to 35 minutes in a 9x13 pan, or 40 to 45 minutes in a bundt pan. Cool thoroughly before frosting.

Enjoy!



Recipe source: http://www.squidoo.com/spanishbarcake


Photo credit:
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff134/layers_of_eli/Cooking/Spanish%20Bar%20Cake/IMG_2180-1.jpg

3 comments:

  1. I also love baking, good thing my kids love hanging out in the kitchen with me. Their favorite so far is still carrot cake and of course chocolate cake. But I'll definitely give this recipe a go. They really get excited every time I try a new cake recipe, they're actually like my grand jury in the kitchen, lol! Funny how even my 4-year old girl has so much to say, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing that receipe. I love the Spanish Bar cake but haven't seen one in years. My brother & sister worked at A & P when they were young, and we have that with coffee. I don't have much time to do a lot of baking now because I write full time--Inspirational historical romance. Nice blog you have here and love the pics of the! grandsbabies:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Maggie - wow - a full-time writer! That's my dream! Congratulations on being able to make a career of something so fulfilling - must be a lot of research. I know I'm 57, but when I grow up, I want to do what you do!!!

    ReplyDelete