Friday, July 9, 2010

Caprese Salad

I have fallen in love with Caprese salad.  It was served at my daughter Katie's summer bridal shower five years ago, and I have loved it ever since.  My ex-husband Gene's wife Kathryn (seems there should be a less awkward way to say that? How about "my friend Kathryn"?) brought it to our 4th of July cookout, and it was refreshingly delicious, and gone in a flash!  She used basil from her own garden, and I swear, you can tell the difference!  Caprese salad is a perfect combination of thick slices of fresh tomato and mozzarella cheese, enhanced by basil leaves,  olive oil vinaigrette, and salt and pepper.  It is exquisite in its simplicity.  One bite of the sun-warmed tomatoes combined with the cool creaminess of the cheese, the fragrant freshness of the basil, and the snap of vinaigarette is summer on a fork.

Here's a little history I gleaned from Wikipedia:  "Insalata Caprese (salad in the style of Capri) is a simple salad  from the Italian region of Campania, made of sliced fresh buffalo mozzarella, tomatoes and basil, and seasoned with salt, pepper, and olive oil.  In Italy, unlike most salads, it is usually served as an antipasto (first course), not a contorno  (side dish)...  Insalata caprese is sometimes called insalata tricolore, tricolore referring to the three colors of the Italian flag..." from:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insalata_Caprese

CAPRESE SALAD

2-3 large, fresh tomatoes, cut in 3/8-inch slices
1/2 pound good mozzarella cheese, cut in 1/4-inch  slices
a bunch of fresh basil leaves, left whole or cut into ribbons (chiffonade)
olive oil
balsamic vinegar
salt
freshly ground pepper

On round or oval platter, arrange tomato slices, mozzarella slices, and basil leaves in a fallling-domino pattern around the plate.  Drizzle with equal amounts of olive oil and vinegar.  Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. 

Photo credit: http://www.theolivebranchinc.com/images/recipes-caprese-salad.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this salad too! Too yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've learned to love this salad more and more as time went on. The first time I had this salad was at a quaint house warming, some 14 years ago. Fast forward to today and now I make it for myself time to time. I wanted to get it right and stumble upon your page! Wouldn't you know I was surprise to see that you're class of '03 from skidmore!!!! I'm a skiddy too- class of '97... Reunion is next June. I will look you up for some yummy cake mmmmm :)

    ReplyDelete