Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Strawberry Sorbet from Epicurious.com

In the 1960s my family lived on Cove Road in Huntington, Long Island.  We lived in the Halesite section of Huntington (named for Nathan Hale), not far from the harbor.  Our house was a beautiful and old yellow cape, set on grounds bordered by pine trees.  My three sisters and I shared a huge upstairs bedroom which my mother referred to as the "dormitory." We lived there when I was in junior high school, and I haven't been back since we moved to Saratoga Springs.  Years later, my sister Patsy returned to Huntington for her high school class reunion.  Curious, she drove by 8 Cove Road and reported to us that, sadly, the house had burned down!  It's hard to think of a place that was once home coming to such an end.  We didn't live there long but I do have happy memories of our time in that house.  I was in that pre-teen, teen phase, and remember calling in a pizza order for the house across the street and then laughing hysterically as my friend Polly and I watched, from my bedroom window, the confusion across the street when the delivery arrived.  I've since atoned for that mischievous deed, but there were others which I may or may not share along the way!  It is good to know that we all grow up, eventually.

Anyway, some of my earliest cooking experiments originated in that kitchen.  I remember being inspired to make my own version of sherbet, from a magazine recipe.  It didn't require an ice cream maker; you just combined ingredients and set the container in the freezer.  This recipe from Epicurious.com reminds me of that time.  I love sorbet, and no ice cream maker is required here, either. According to the recipe, "The sorbet can be processed in an ice cream maker or simply frozen in a shallow container (a 13x9-inch metal or glass baking pan works best)."

STRAWBERRY SORBET
from Epicurious.com

    *  2 cups water
    * 1 cup sugar
    * 1 quart strawberries, hulled
    * 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
    * 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice

Stir 2 cups water and sugar in heavy medium saucepan over high heat until sugar dissolves. Boil 5 minutes.

Working in batches, puree strawberries in food processor until smooth. Add strawberry puree and orange and lemon juices to sugar syrup; stir to blend. Cover and refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours.

Process strawberry mixture in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions or place mixture in shallow container and freeze, stirring every hour until set, about 6 hours. (Can be made 3 days ahead. Cover and freeze in airtight container. If sorbet is frozen solid, place in refrigerator for 15 minutes to soften.)

One year ago today: Lake George Wedding

Recipe credit: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Fresh-Strawberry-Sorbet-108471

Photo image: http://img4.sunset.com/i/2007/04/strawberry-sorbet-m.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment