Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Chocolate Sorbet from Ina Garten

Yep, my go-to woman for delicious desserts has hit another home run, this time with Chocolate Sorbet.  Ina Garten's name appears often in these posts, and it's because she is so basically good:  not a lot of pretentious ingredients or complicated steps, but easy-to-follow, common sense recipes that are accessible to the novice cook and interesting enough for the more experienced.  I love Ina.  People sometimes tell me that I remind them of her, and I really don't know what to say about that.  I usually respond that we have too much in common (dark hair, love to bake/cook, and are both somewhat Rubinesque!) but apparently there is something to it.  I hear it all the time.  I don't know -- you take a look at my profile photo and tell me if you see it.  I don't...  What we don't have in common:  she has a house in the Hamptons.  I don't.

Anyway, Ina and I both love sorbet, and her recipe for the chocolate variety garners her usual rave reviews.  It is creamy yet it contains no dairy.  If you don't have an ice cream maker (my daughter Katie has one, an attachment for her Kitchen Aid!), you can proceed by putting the mixture in a shallow glass or metal pan in the freezer, and give it a good scrape with a fork every few hours until it is scoopable.  The freezer version might be a bit grainier than the machine mixture, but it will be equally delicious.

CHOCOLATE SORBET
Ina Garten (aka the Barefoot Contessa) with my notes added

    *  1 cup sugar
    * 1/2 cup very good cocoa powder (recommended: Pernigotti) Note:  Hershey's is fine!
    * 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    * 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    * 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
    * 2 cups water
    * 1/4 cup brewed espresso (1 shot)  Note: 1/4 cup brewed coffee is fine
    * 11/2 tablespoons coffee liqueur (recommended: Tia Maria)  Note:  liqueur keeps the sorbet from freezing too hard - vodka or kahlua would work, too.  It's just a little bit, but use something you love.

Directions

In a large saucepan, mix the sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in 2 cups water and the espresso. Cook over low heat until the ingredients are dissolved. Off the heat, stir in the coffee liqueur. Transfer to plastic containers and refrigerate until very cold.

Freeze the mixture in an ice cream freezer according to the manufacturer's directions. The sorbet will still be soft; place it in a plastic container and freeze for 1 hour or overnight, until firm enough to scoop.

Image credit: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3068/2670139706_fd6b74f967.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment