Sunday, May 2, 2010

Winslow's and Coconut Cream Pie

Russ and I had dinner last night at Winslow's, just north of Saratoga Springs on Route 9.  We've been going there for years and have always enjoyed it.  We got there a little too late last night, though, because the chicken piccata special I ordered had run out.  Russ ordered their famous turkey dinner which is always consistently good.  My next choice was the smallest steak on the menu, a "junior" which was still about 13 ounces, and I ordered it "medium."  Paired with mashed potatoes and a broccoli/squash combo, it was a terrific meal.  Our waiter, Matt, was very apologetic because I didn't get my first choice, but I was happy.  In consolation, he told us that dessert was on the house.  I usually never order dessert, simply because after a salad and a meal, there's no way.  But last night I paced myself because I saw that coconut cream pie was on the menu.  I LOVE coconut, and in a creamy pie -- that's heaven.  We ordered our desserts and Matt came to me and said "You're not going to believe this..." to which I replied, "You're out of coconut cream pie."  Yep.  Matt said they felt bad about it so they were making one for me.  They made another coconut cream pie just so I could have my first choice.  Russ ordered a slice of peanut butter fudge pie. He really liked his dessert, but soon after we left the restaurant he had regret -- he'd eaten too much and was in pain!  (Russ is 6'4" and 175 lbs.  He can eat dessert every day and be just fine).  It was a matter of capacity, and he exceeded his own.

Anyway, in honor of attentive service if not inadequate supply of first-choice menu items, today I am posting a recipe for coconut cream pie from allrecipes.com.   My adaptation is to use real whipped cream for the topping, rather than the frozen, whipped stuff. (Original Recipe Yield 1 - 9 inch pie)

COCONUT CREAM PIE

Ingredients

3 cups half-and-half
2 eggs
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup flaked coconut, toasted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 (9 inch) pie shell, baked

1 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed (*Make it better:  use real heavy cream, whipped and sweetened)

Directions

1.In a medium saucepan, combine half-and-half, eggs, sugar, flour and salt. Bring to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in 3/4 cup of the coconut and the vanilla extract. Pour into pie shell and chill 2 to 4 hours, or until firm.

2.Top with whipped topping (preference: real whipped cream), and with remaining 1/4 cup of coconut.

3.Note: To toast coconut, spread it in an ungreased pan and bake in a 350 degree F (175 degrees C) oven for 5 to 7 minutes, or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
Photo credit:  http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Old-Fashioned-Coconut-Cream-Pie/Detail.aspx

1 comment:

  1. Winslow's is absolutely the BEST. Every time we go there, I feel like I'm at a relatives' house for a holiday...it's the smell of the roast turkey! I have never once had a bad experience there and I've been going since I was a child. Thanks for bringing back those great memories...Bob and I need to get back there soon.

    ReplyDelete