Thursday, May 6, 2010

Gym Day and Up and At 'Em Pancakes

Some mornings just start off, off-kilter. I had a hard time getting out of bed, listening to the rain on the metal roof above my head. Morning clouds kept the sun from shining in my windows, and I just didn't want to get up. Still, I had a 7 a.m. appointment with the gym, and since I'm participating in a study, missing a session isn't an option (which is a good thing because if I didn't have such accountability, I'd probably still be sleeping!). My bag was packed with work clothes, and I left this morning ready to go, gym clothes on, car keys-check, glasses-check, cell phone-check. Got in the car only to realize I'd left the back window open and, you know, it rained all night. Got to the gym, did my thing, and went to the locker room to dress. My water bottle had tipped over and apparently it wasn't sealed tightly. My clothes are soaking wet. I walked to my office wearing my gym clothes. In an attempt to dry things out, I now have my shirt hanging on a hanger on the door, my pants are draped over my computer tower under my desk, and my gauzey scarf adorning the back of my chair. I may not be well dressed today, but my office is.

I didn't have time to prepare a healthy breakfast this morning.That's a new habit I've yet to incorporate. But when I do, I'll be making these Up and At 'Em Pancakes, recipe courtesy of my friend Sue, who's a devoted morning exerciser. She says they're very good and they stick to your ribs. She's usually right about everything (seriously!) so I'll take her word for it!


Up and At ‘Em Pancakes
from Sue Valenti:


2 egg whites
¾ - 1 cup skim milk
1 tbsp oil
1 cup flour
¼ cup toasted wheat germ (I also use the untoasted kind)
1 ½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt (I omit the salt)
½ cup cottage cheese (not no fat, only low fat)

Whip egg whites with a fork until frothy; add ¾ cup milk and oil; stir liquids together. Mix dry ingredients together and add to liquid.Stir until well blended. Add cottage cheese and mix well. If the batter is too thick, thin with the skim milk (or, if you want thinner pancakes. Bake on hot griddle. I divide this batter into 4 pancakes.

Photo image: http://leelewis.co.uk/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/webassets/dumbbells.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment