Monday, November 2, 2009

All treats, no tricks


This Halloween weekend was the kind of weekend that gives Halloween a good name. For me, it meant time spent with my daughter Katie making a special cake for a friend's baby's first birthday on October 31st. On Saturday morning, I carefully drove the completed cake to Troy (about 45 minutes away). After a missed turn and some bumpy roads, the only casualty was a fallen zebra, who was perched back up on the first tier upon arrival.

Saturday was also Henry's second Halloween and since he is now 18 months old, he really seemed to enjoy it. He was dressed as a train conductor with overalls, a red bandanna, and an engineer's cap. His curls peeked out from under the cap.

Halloween is also my mother-in-law Marylou's birthday, and when we went over to visit, she had a house full. Making up most of that crowd were seven great-grandchildren in Halloween costumes, three grandchildren, three sons, and more than a few daughters-in-law. I'm legally no longer her daughter-in-law since the divorce, and my ex-husband and his wife were there, but everyone treats me as if I am still just as much a part of the family, and for that I am forever grateful. I love Marylou. She's a special woman and an important person in my life.

Later that afternoon Katie and Bill took Henry trick-or-treating in a friend's neighborhood, since we live in the country and there are few houses around. Home alone (!) I took the opportunity to sit on the couch, put my feet up, and watch a movie! It's the first time I've done anything like that in months, and it was great. When they got back, we went to visit my sister-in-law Carolyn's family, where again we were surrounded by babies and children and their parents exhibiting their inner children, costuming themselves for parties later that evening. My niece Lauren was the tooth fairy, proud (after three babies) to fit in her prom gown which was embellished with fake and actual teeth as were her wand and tiara. Lovely. Her brother Gordon was the Wicked Witch of the West, green face and all, and continuing with the Oz theme, his wife Mary was Glinda, the Good Witch. Mary transformed her beautiful wedding dress by spraying it pink. I gasped, but she didn't blink an eye! It was chaotic and fun. Carolyn had made a pot of chili, baked a couple of quiches, and there was candy everywhere.

I left there realizing how fortunate I am to be part of a family that enjoys each others' company so much. Very, very fortunate.
Photo by Greg Magin, Julia's dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment